Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Math for Elementary Teachers II 1512

What's Probability?



The easiest way to see how probability works is by rolling the dice. When I use this process I am able to clearly see why and how probability works. If I have 2 standard dice. Lets say I want to know the probability of rolling the number 4 or lower when using both dice. Well if I figure that there are the numbers 1-4 on each dice, I know that there are 8 different possible outcomes that could be rolled; another way of figuring this is out would be to make a sample space. A sample place is a listing of all the possible outcomes. In this case {1,2,3,4} and since there are 2 dice I multiply the total of the sample place by 2, which gives us 8.. I already know that each dice has 6 numbers on it, again I multiply by 2 since i have two dice. This tells me I have a possible of 12 numbers. I then know that I have an 8 in 12 chance or the probability of 2/3.



Lets try and figure out the probability of drawing a specific card or cards from a deck of cards. What is the probability of drawing an Ace. Well we know that there are 4 aces in each deck, and 52 cards in a full deck. Which gives us 4/52 or 1/13.
Another example would be finding the probability of drawing a red card. So we know that half of a deck of cards is red, so 26 cards are red. That means that the probability of drawing a red card is 26/52 or 1/2.

To me probability is something that can be used for other situations that are more likely to occur or be more important that know what dice you will roll or what card you will draw. You can also use probability to find out things like the weather based on past weather, or on things like the likely hood that something is going to happen again or things along those lines. Another thing is even used in betting and gambling. What are the odds I will win or what are the odds I will draw an Ace.

No comments:

Post a Comment