Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2011

Math for Elementary Teachers I 1510

The Lattice Multiplication Method

To start off with here is a video demonstrating both standard multiplication and then the lattice method.



When did they start teaching the lattice multiplication method? And where was I? I definitely do not remember ever learning this process, and to tell you the truth I am glad. It is so strange that I find it more way more difficult than using the standard multiplication algorithm.

Yous tart with the square, then draw the lines and the diagonal lines in the lattice then you have to multiply and try to understand which box which number goes. And as if that is not confusing enough then you have to add the numbers in the right rows and wow I am lost!

Here is a video that starts out a little slow but just watch and it will help with the bigger numbers of multiplication.



I think peoples biggest issue when it comes to multiplication is not knowing the larger numbers. I think most people can do 1-5 relatively quickly and accurately it's all the larger numbers that cause the confusion. So if everyone practiced the larger numbers a little more and found them easier and faster to solve I think long multiplication, or the original multiplication algorithm would be fail proof just about every time, well most of the time anyways given human error!

No comments:

Post a Comment