Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2011

Math for Elementary Teachers I 1510

Standard Multiplication Algorithm

Seeing as how I was taught multiplication using the standard algorithm, to me it is the easiest and most reliable method; well other than a calculator of course. It makes sense to me. It's simple, step by step process that you use; and as long as you know your basic multiplication and adding you should have no problem with it.

However, some people do have problems following it, and it wonder why. I think one reason is the way they were taught. The way math was taught when I was growing up and in schools compared to the math being taught today is almost another language. Although the information being processed received and processed is basically the same, the way it is being done is completely different. And to me almost more confusing than it needs to be.



Granted, I do understand that people all learn and understand things just a little bit differently. What I don't understand is how to know which way works best and is overall more understood by students. I guess if I knew that I would be a super teacher already and wouldn't even need to be taking math classes for elementary math. I just wish it were easier to know what to teach and how so that everyone could feel like they are on the same page.

No comments:

Post a Comment