Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Math for Elementary Teachers II 1512

Analyzing data, where to begin right? After going over this weeks topics I feel like I am seeing things for the very first time. Ways of graphing and plotting and the what have you's on how to put information into a readable and usable form.

But if it's supposed to be so readable why am I some what if not more confused by the data shown in a certain ways than I am just looking at the numbers? For example a back to back stem  graph; am I the only person who has never seen or heard of this before? When or why would anyone use this or how would  this be an easier way to look at numbers?  When I see a list of numbers all missing the first digit which I then have to reference back to to the stem I am like what? To me it just seems more difficult or easier to misread a line and have a wrong number.

However, a way to show data that I do like is in a graphical way. Like a dot plot or a circle graph. It seems so much simpler to just look and see what you are looking for. Now I know not everything can be put into a graphical display for but wouldn't that be nice? It would be for me anyways :)

Here is a fun little website that you can make all sorts of graphs in easily, it's actually kinda fun too!
http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/

No comments:

Post a Comment