Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Math for Elementary Teachers I 1510

How fun are Egyptian numerals, Babylonian numerals Mayan numerals. I can only imagine how long it would take to actually work with these graphics, but they do look cool. I've never actually worked with numerals other than numbers and I found this part of the chapter pretty interesting.

When using Babylonian numerals, for example, I did first have to learn how to multiply by the base number which at first was a little challenging. but after doing a few problems I caught on pretty quickly. It also took me a few minutes to see where the position of a digit is in relation to its value. It does take a little longer and a somewhat drawn out process of finding what each graphic equals then multiplying then adding, but none the less it looks cool so I like it!

I wonder what it might have been like to live in a time where I would have actually used these graphics for math problems. I also wonder if what I am think about them is what an ancient Egyptian might be thinking about our numbers and how we do math. A question I will never have the answer to, such is life!

Here is a short YouTube video that talks about Babylonian numerals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPHBeYtp1Tw&NR=1

No comments:

Post a Comment